Up next on our virtual tour showcasing some of the best training spots and hidden gems in cities around the country we are headed to Chicago! These are your local tour guides:
- Andy, our VP of Sweat Replacement, aka "The Human Camel"
- Mike, Field Marketing Stallion. Ask him for a Dad Joke, you won't regret it!
- Tim, Grocery Sales guru. He's always willing to spend the extra dollar to get faster on the bike.
- Robby, Field Marketing Specialist. He's vegan and ready to talk about it.
For those of you who haven’t traveled to the greatest city in the Midwest (and perhaps the entire country), you are in for quite a treat. Chicago is known affectionately as a “drinking city with an eating problem” but also has one of the most vibrant active communities in the entire country. Harsh winters and short springs make summer and fall all the more enjoyable in the metropolitan area known to us locals as “Chicagoland”. Here are some of our favorite spots around the city and suburbs that you’ll want to check out on your next visit!
Looking for a spot to go for a great run?
- The Lakefront Path: The Chicago Lakefront Path is truly one of a kind. 18 miles of paved lakefront trail that take you along Lake Michigan and will give you breathtaking views of one the world’s best skylines. Be sure to stop at one of the nuun hydration stations that are setup on the weekends during the summer!
- For those of you that are feeling a bit more adventurous, check out these off-the-beaten-path spots along the Northern part of the Lakefront Path:
Rocky Road Tumble, Red Dirt Road, & Montrose Bird Santuary
- Waterfall Glen/Swallow Cliff: If you venture a little southwest of the city, you'll find two great spots for a trail run. Head to waterfall glen for a more groomed crushed limestone trail, and to Swallow Cliff if you’d like to enjoy some single track! Both are great places to take your bike off-road as well!
Looking to go for a ride?
- Sheridan Road: Just north of the city Sheridan road offers a beautiful rolling tour of the some of the largest homes that Chicago has to offer. With a protected bike lane and less traffic than the city, it is a great place for any level of cyclist.
Need a post-workout coffee?
Chicago has no shortage of great coffee shops, but our favorites are:
- Intelligentsia (Lincoln Park)
- Osmium (Lakeview)
- Heritage Bikes (Lakeview) - a bike shop and coffee! What more could you want?
Is sightseeing more your thing?
- Grant Park: the Bean and Buckingham fountain are both located in the park, and are great spots for a selfie. Particularly with The Bean, stop by early in the morning to avoid the crowds.
photo by team nuun athlete emily
- Pritzker Pavilion: Catch a concert here for a great outdoor music venue.
- Wrigley Field: Dropped smack dab in the middle of the Lakeview neighborhood, Wrigley Field is about as Chicago as you can get. For Bonus points get a bleacher ticket to sit with the bleacher bums. Go Cubs Go!
With all there is to do in the “windy city,” you’ll need some great eats to keep you going.
- Bang! Bang! Biscuits and Pie: Don’t let the name fool you, this place has incredible brunch food (and yes, great pies). With a location in Lincoln Square and another in Logan Square, it’s easy to get to from anywhere in the city!
- Handlebar: For those wanting vegan-friendly fare, this is a great bike themed spot located in Wicker Park!
- Sheffield’s: Located in Lakeview, Sheffield’s is a staple bar and barbeque joint that has a great beer garden as well. Great place to enjoy a game and a beverage!
Chicago is a city that has a little bit of everything, and as such can provide a great experience no matter what you are looking for. Hopefully we were able to give you a glimpse into a few of our favorite spots so that your next trip to the “second city” is a great one.
and remember to stay tuned all summer long as we continue our virtual road trip, and shares more of their favorite spots in their favorite cities: seattle portland san francisco san diego phoenix houston denver atlanta new york city boston
no comments yet
Be the first to comment below.