Next up on our virtual road trip, we head down to the great state of Texas! Let Team Nuun athlete Lindsay show you the best spots in Houston to workup a sweat.
Just because Houston’s hot, doesn’t mean we don’t like to workout. Just give us some Nuun, our favorite running trails and we’ll sweat it out! If you’re looking to explore the hottest city in the south, Houston’s got you covered with trails, bike paths, parks and plenty of fitness studios. If you're looking to:
- Rice University Loop: This just under three mile loop is perfect for summer running. The trees surrounding the trail provide natural shade, not to mention a pretty view! Make your way to the graduate student pub, Valhalla, on campus after your run for $1 beers.
- Buffalo Bayou: Recently redeveloped, this trail provides a scenic route with views of downtown, the bayou, and various art installations. Do the full 5-mile loop, or add miles through downtown or to Memorial Park for a longer run.
- Memorial Park: Houston runners know Memorial Park as the mecca for runners.The three mile loop is the hub for most running clubs in the city as it’s centrally located with access to other running trails and right at mile 20 of the Chevron Houston Marathon.
- Spotts Park: When it comes to training for races outside of Houston (read: hills), we need to get creative! Spotts Park is one of the best spots to get hill training in, all within a contained area in close proximity to both Memorial Park and Buffalo Bayou.
- Buffalo Bayou Park: You don’t even have to BYOB (bike, not beer) here. Rent bikes from Bike Barn right on the trail and then enjoy the incredible views of the Houston skyline.
- Memorial Park’s Picnic Loop and Mountain Bike Trails: Head to Memorial Park to knock out some quick road bike miles on the 1 mile picnic loop, or if mountain biking is more your thing, explore the Ho Chi Minh trail and other off-road trails.
- Revolution Studios: Hustle and flow at this spin and yoga studio with three locations - Sugar Land, Memorial City and River Oaks. With and emphasis on music and creative flows and spin classes, there’s always something fun happening here. (You might even run into me here, as I teach classes 4 times a week!)
- Yogaleena: With Anthropologie inspired decor, this space is the perfect place to get zen. Plus, the studio is non-heated which makes it perfect for athletes looking to stretch without dehydrating.
- BIG Power Yoga: With one location right on the Buffalo Bayou, you can combine your workouts for a fit filled day at this Baptiste studio.
Enjoy Post-Workout Grinds & Brews:
- Canyon Creek Bar & Grill: This runner and biker friendly establishment around the corner from Memorial Park is the perfect spot to grab your post workout beer with breakfast.
- Karbach Brewery: Join Karbach’s weekly social ride or run, then enjoy craft beer after!
Now you know all the best places to train for the next time you find your self in Houston (hopefully soon!). Remember to stay tuned all summer long as nuun continues their virtual road trip, and shares more of their favorite spots in their favorite cities: seattle portland san francisco san diego phoenix denver chicago atlanta new york city boston
no comments yet
Be the first to comment below.