By Chef Vishal
This polar vortex has me craving soup, so I thought I'd share one of my favorites. This black bean soup with chili lime corn is a crowd-pleaser, and it's easy to whip up.
2 cans low-sodium black beans
1 can organic sweet corn
1 red bell pepper (large)
1 green bell pepper (large)
1 red onion (medium)
½ tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp cumin
½ tbsp cayenne pepper
½ tbsp chili pepper
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp Mexican oregano
1-2 tbsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Avocados for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F
2. In a large baking sheet, spread the corn kernels evenly, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes.
After the initial roasting period, evenly coat the kernels in chili powder, salt, and lime juice.
Roast for an additional 3-5 minutes.
While the kernels are roasting:
1. Wash and dry produce, cut into medium sized pieces.
2. Using a mini-food processor to slighly puree the red onion. Remove from bowl.
3. Using the same food processor, roughly chop the bell peppers one at a time.
4. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bell pepper puree from the food processser. Reserve the liquid for later.
5. Heat a large pot, then add the olive oil and onion. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
6. Add garlic to pot, and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes.
7. Add bell peppers and cook for 4-5 minutes.
8. Add seasoning: cumin, cayenne, oregano, salt and pepper.
9. Add black beans (with liquid) and the reserved liquid from the bell peppers.
10. Using an immersion blender, blend until consistently is smoother and thicker (a few minutes).
11. Add roasted corn, simmer for an additional 30-45 minutes under low heat
When you're ready to serve, top with diced avocados to give this soup a little extra oomph. Share and enjoy!
POSTED IN chef vishal
no comments yet
Be the first to comment below.