R&D and Compliance Scientist
Department: Product Development
Location: Seattle, WA
Reports to: Senior R&D and Compliance Manager
Nuun and Company, based in Seattle, WA, has revolutionized hydration by making electrolyte drinks portable, tasty and with very little sugars. Each drink tablet is the perfect balance of electrolytes needed to maintain top performance in whatever activity you participate in, from run to bike to fitness studio to car to desk. Founded in 2004, Nuun is used by the world's best athletes and everyone else. Nuun is sold in over 5000 outlets in the us and available in over 30 countries.
The R&D and Compliance Scientist is responsible for providing technical and administrative support to the Sr. R&D and Quality Manager. This position will coordinate, communicate and document Regulatory Compliance, R&D and Quality Systems activities to ensure consistent, high-quality response to internal/external customer requirements, quality/food safety initiatives, regulatory compliance issues and the overall maintenance of the product development, quality and documentation systems.
Labeling and Regulatory Compliance
- Proof and route technical copy documents of supplement/nutrition facts panels, ingredient/allergen statements and required warnings/disclosures for approval.
- Maintain a strong familiarity with all current US food and dietary supplement labeling regulations and best practices (21 CFR 111, DSHEA, etc.).
- Learn new and proposed changes in laws, rulings, regulations and enforcement activities impacting the use of ingredients, product safety and labeling
- Organize and maintain new product, ingredient, and allergen documentation.
- Support generation and control of technical documents for new products.
- Assist with evaluation, and approval of new suppliers.
- Support new product development and continuous improvement projects with bench-top work
- Special tasks or projects, as assigned.
- Act as an internal auditor to ensure the co-manufacturing operations comply with all established controls for Food Safety to ensure product quality. (Standards and processes such as Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) and Good Manufacturing Practices).
- Review COA and COC documents as part of the Hold and Release program
- Maintains current supplier documentation
- Assists in supplier, raw material and packaging approval process
- Track and analyze product incidents
- Serve as a technical resource to the Sales & Marketing teams providing timely documentation as requested.
QualificationsBachelor’s degree required – Food Science, Nutrition or Biological Sciences2+ years of experience preferred in FDA regulated industryOrganized and detail-orientedInnovative and self-motivated, able to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.Critical thinker with a demonstrated ability to digest research and apply informationWorking knowledge of scientific method(s) for research and development.Competent math and statistical skillsStrong interpersonal skills with the ability to use tact and diplomacy with other departments, including communication with co-manufacturing partners and suppliersClear verbal and written communicationIn-depth working knowledge of FDA food and dietary supplement product regulations (21 CFR 111), guidance and policies, and a thorough understanding of the enforcement landscapeStrong attention to detail
*All applicants who are offered employment with Nuun and Company will be subject to a background investigation that will include a driving background check. Offers of employment are contingent on the successful completion of a background investigation.